Sunday, October 19, 2008

Good Times at the Fair

State Fair was awesome last night! What could be more great than going to a place where just about everything you buy is some sort of fried thing on a stick. The new additions this year? Fried mac and cheese - which I couldn't find - and fried pecan pie - which I saw. My friend tried the deep fried twinkie - she said it was actually pretty good. I was boring and unadventurous and stuck with the normal funnel cake. Funnel cakes at a fair remind me of growing up in WV and going to all the fair and festivals my little town held with my grandmother and getting a funnel cake with her. Sternwheeler Festival and the Parkersburg Homecoming - for being a small area - had some pretty good music come in. Dixie Chicks before they got famous, Diamond Rio, Molly Hatchet Band (who knew they were still touring).

Tomorrow (Monday) would be a good time to go back to the fair - if I had time, what with four papers due this week - because Bobby Flay of Food Network fame will be there...what he's going to do I have no idea, hopefully it will involve making a delicious Southwestern style corn dog with a mango salsa ..yum! (my friend Jo came up with a great recipe he should follow)

Got to see some of the baked and canned goods that won prizes, makes me want to enter a contest sometime with my pepperoni rolls. I'm sure there were larger animals, but we did get to see the champion bunnies - some of those things are huge. I don't know what you are going to do with a 20lb rabbit...maybe eat it?

Anyway, good times at the fair and now its back to environmental archaeology articles.

No comments: