Wednesday, March 31, 2010

And deep breath and stretch...

It's over! Sort of...still, whoot! Now there are edits to do and some new interesting stats to run (like sexual dimorphism indexes which I will use to compare possible changes in sexual dimorphism between my two time periods), all within two weeks. Ha! So, my master's career has essentially come down to a fun race to see how fast I can type. Hilarious.

But I am pretty excited about the sexual dimorphism indexes. The way it works is this: there is a certain amount of sexual dimorphism in humans (and most animals), which means something that you notice everyday - guys are bigger than girls. Now the ratio may change - for instance, the ratio is less, meaning males and females are closer in size, in certain groups in Asia, for instance. But you find that when a group goes through periods of stress - like they can't get enough nutritious foods or food in general - sexual dimorphism decreases, meaning men and women are closer in height. So this will be interesting to see in the Town Creek population.

I'm going to see "How to train your dragon" on Friday (tomorrow), it looks pretty awesome. I'm especially looking forward to this summer's movies like Iron Man 2. I've never been a Robert Downey, jr. fan, but he did an excellent job in the first film. He is great at being cool and disaffected. I like that, in the same theme as the X-Men, Spiderman, and the Hulk, updated the setting to more current issues. He's an arms dealer and the Global War on Terror is on and he ends up being taken hostage by a warlord or terrorists (I'm not sure which) in Afghanistan. Awesomeness ensues after he builds his suit and makes an escape. But I thought it was poignant when he ends up becoming friends with a fellow prisoner, a local man who talked about trying to get back to his family. I know this was set up as a foil to Ironman's (I forget the character's name) profession as an arms dealer and puts a face to the destruction that comes from that, but I was pretty sad when the guy sacrifices himself so that Ironman can get away. As he runs towards the oncoming bad guys, Ironman tries to stop him reminding him that his family is waiting for him. And the guy remarks that yes they are, they've been dead for some time. Ugh, sad. And then Ironman exacts revenge and it's incredibly fulfilling.



And that's just the beginning. So I can't wait for part dos.

No comments: