Thursday, November 13, 2008

The arm bone is connected to the hand bone is connected to the I need some sleep bone

Osteology test and rough draft of my environmental archaeology paper on the decline of Cahokia due tomorrow...going to be a long night. But at least there is Grey's Anatomy and the hot army dr, so that should be a good time to take a break.

It's cold, officially, and I am layering up because Florida definitely thinned my blood out. All the trees are showing some amazing colors. Walked by the big white oak when taking out the recycling and couldn't help but kick the thick cover of leaves on the ground like I was 5. We had a tree just like it across the road at the last place we lived in WV when I was a kid, and for a minute I was right back there standing across the street, getting ready for the bus...feeling how cold it was. Funny how little things like that can trigger sensory memories.

Working on getting the money together for my Thai field school...whoohoo digging up bones. If you would like to donate to the cause, I accept cash, checks, and all major credit cards : )

Yay for November, I can listen to Christmas songs now without feeling like I am starting too early and I think I may put up my tree soon. If ABC Family can start their countdown to the 25 days of Christmas countdown next Sunday, then I can start singing carols.

Back to work....

2 comments:

Hill Billy Rave said...

Gosh, your group was a bunch of people. They could probably shed some light on the Town Creek folk with DNA tests. I don't know. It seems doable to me.

Sleep well. Sleep is awsome.

pipsqeak said...

Yeah, maybe...mitochondrial DNA may shed some light on the connection between them and the modern Cherokee population.

My real group is just the Mississippians there at Town Creek - and they left at about the same time the other Mississippian centers declined...and only just a little after Cahokia fell. So...probably they are all connected...maybe.